The primary purpose of the Auto Roadeo is to emphasize the need to stop texting while driving. A secondary purpose is to expose the young drivers and their parents to driving skills and car needs they may not yet have experienced.
- Valid Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit
- Proof of Insurance
|When:||Saturday, May 4, 2013
10 a.m. — 1 p.m. ( Registration begins at 9:30 a.m. )
|Where:||Mercer Stadium Parking Lot – Behind Fort Bend ISD|
- Course driving through cones (forward and backward) – How well can the driver maneuver around obstacles and stay on the road while texting?
- Brake Reaction Time – How long does it take from the time the driver notices brake lights on the car ahead until driver can fully stop?
- Wet Stopping Time – How much further does it take the car to stop in the wet versus dry?
- Parallel Parking – A challenge for most people – how well can they perform when distracted?
Car Maintenance Skills
- Check fluid levels (oil, coolant, brake, power steering, transmission,washer)
- Check all lights (headlights, tail lights, turn signals, parking lights)
- Check/Replace wiper blades
- Check tire pressures
- How to change a flat tire (start to finish)
- How to hook up jumper cables safely
Driver Awareness & Safety Tips
- 2-Second Rule – Leave a “space cushion” of at least two seconds between you and the vehicle ahead. Learn how to continually check and maintain your distance
- Who’s Following? Being aware of who is following you – are they too close or driving too fast? Stopping at “yellow lights”
- Entrance & Exit Ramp Procedures
- What to do if your car is disabled on the side of the road?
- How to respond to a traffic stop?
- What to do if involved in an auto accident?
NASCAR-style Pit Stop Competition (optional)
- 5-member volunteer teams will have three opportunities to post their best time against the clock.
- Prizes for the winners.
- Sign Pledge not to text and drive!
- Take away – Prizes (drawings); T-Shirts; Wrist bands; Contact information about F.A.S.T. and local school F.A.S.T. chapter(s).